Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Father's Discipline by Roy E Proctor: Chapter 1



(This is a Christian fiction book.)

Chapter One is, I shit you not, a blurb of an imaginary prequel to this book.

I honestly thought I had somehow clicked on the wrong link or this was supposed to be the opening page and it would move on to the real Chapter One, but no.  It’s a blurb.  I was so shocked by it that I went back to it twice to make sure.  But, no.  At the top of the blurb reads:  Chapter One.

Honestly, the "blurb" might have made a decent book.  Kind of tragic, if a little cliched: A father spearheading the war on drugs and cracking down on a criminal cartel headed by… none other than his own son!  *clutches pearls*

So he had to make the tough choice of burying it or prosecuting his own kid.

“... the Lord chose Jim to be a prosecutor for justice.”

So he prosecutes his son.

We all know that we humans don’t make any of our own decisions--noooope.  God wanted you to send all those sinful pot-smokers to prison, James R. Watkins.  


Dangerous criminal!


Proctor must think his audience has the memory of a rock because he repeats the main character's full name three times in what you may generously call five paragraphs.

All the same, I’ll give the character points for sticking to his values and not showing favoritism to his kid, even if I disagree with the war on drugs nonsense.


If I can expect this same style throughout every chapter, I’m going to fly through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment